Tree Cabling & Bracing in San Jose, CA
When your favorite tree appears like it might not make it, or has to be removed because it might damage a structure, not all hope is lost. In some cases, mature trees can be saved by providing additional structural support through cabling or bracing, two of the most common support techniques for trees. The skilled tree care professionals at West Valley Arborists provide tree cabling, as well as tree bracing in San Jose, CA. Our certified arborists can evaluate your tree and determine the best course of action to support continued growth.
What Is Tree Cabling and Bracing?
Tree cabling and tree bracing are two techniques used to provide additional support to mature trees who have grown in a way which isn’t safe or sustainable for the trees long-term health. Cabling and bracing reinforce and support critical areas of the tree by limiting branch movement. Certified tree care specialists install steel cables into a tree’s trunk and secure them with heavy bolts in the tree’s upper crown. When bracing rods are used, specialists place them between branches to provide support to the tree’s structure. Tree cabling and bracing help support continued growth and prevent movement during rain storms and high winds.
What Causes Structural Support Issues in Trees?
Trees can grow in unsafe ways for a variety of reasons, which include:
- Species Characteristics. Tree species more likely to grow one or more codominant stems can often have structural issues. Codominant stems are weaker than a single tree stem connecting to the trunk. The best way to avoid this issue is by planting trees with a better structure
- Location. When trees are growing in an awkward location near a structure, or fighting with other trees, it can cause support issues because of uneven growth.
- Poor tree care. Young trees need to be pruned regularly to shape their growth. When no pruning occurs or incorrect pruning, a tree can overextend with heavy branches causing weakness.
Tree Cabling & Bracing vs. Tree Removal
Many times homeowners might be ready to have a tree with structural support issues removed because it creates a safety hazard where homeowners and guests might be hit by a falling branch or part of a tree. It’s not always possible to save every tree, but many times cabling and bracing can correct the problem. Here are three common scenarios where you can use these techniques:
- Preventing tree or branch failure. If you notice a tree has large codominant stems, also called ‘V-crotches,’ you can prevent future failure by cabling and bracing before it’s too late.
- Restoring a tree after a storm. When a storm or high winds causes a tree to lose a leading branch, cabling and bracing can help support other leaders which are now exposed.
- Remove hazards. When mature trees with multiple stems loom over structures, it creates a potential hazard for those around. Cabling and bracing these trees can reduce the danger associated with a particular tree.
Call West Valley Arborists Today for
Tree Cabling & Tree Bracing in San Jose, CA
Choosing to cable and/or brace your trees is a hefty decision. Preserving a tree which might be dying might not be worth the expense, but you don’t want to give up too soon if enough healthy wood exists to save the tree. An experienced and certified arborist can thoroughly inspect your tree to determine if adding support is the best option. The skilled team at West Valley Arborists proudly serves commercial and residential clients in the San Jose area. Contact us at (408) 866-1148 or online to schedule a free estimate for tree cabling and tree bracing in San Jose, CA.
Tree Service Estimate
Great company to work with. Simon communicated well and arrived on time to provide an estimate to trim back several trees in our front yard. His crew showed up promptly as scheduled, and the project was completed, clean and professional.
Santa Clara, CA
West Valley Arborist did wonderful job on our oak tree. It looks amazing and we get complements eryday. They were very professional and took their time to do best work. We would definitely use them again in future. They did all the trimming of the huge tree, clean up and deep roots watering.
Los Altos, CA
West Valley Arborists and Simon did an amazing job. The crew worked quickly and efficiently. Sensitive areas of my property were carefully protected. Not to mention the end result was a beautiful front and back yard my wife and I admire endlessly.
San Francisco, CA
Our teams will gladly travel to San Jose, Los Gatos, Sunnyvale, Belmont, and many additional nearby California cities